• First, I cut the oxtails into manageable pieces and clean them with a mixture of vinegar and water. This helps to remove any impurities and odors.
• Next, I create a flavorful paste by blending together garlic, scallions, fresh thyme, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and some pepper and salt. This mixture adds a depth of flavor to the oxtails.
• I then apply the paste generously to the oxtails, making sure to coat each piece thoroughly.
• Finally, I let the oxtails sit overnight at room temperature in the fridge. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat and tenderize it.
By following this method, I always end up with succulent and delicious oxtails that are perfect for stews, soups, or any other dish that calls for this flavorful cut of meat.
Preparing the Oxtails
Oxtails are a delicious and flavorful cut of meat that can be used in a variety of dishes. However, before you can cook them, you need to prepare them properly. The first step in preparing oxtails is to cut them into smaller pieces. This will make them easier to handle and cook. You can use a sharp knife or a meat cleaver to cut the oxtails into pieces that are about 2-3 inches long.
- Make sure to remove any excess fat or gristle from the oxtails before cutting them.
Cleaning the Oxtails
Once you have cut the oxtails into smaller pieces, it’s time to clean them. Cleaning oxtails is important because they can be quite fatty and can have a strong odor. To clean the oxtails, you will need to use a mixture of vinegar and water. This will help to remove any dirt, grime, or bacteria that may be on the meat.
- Use a ratio of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water when cleaning the oxtails.
- Make sure to rinse the oxtails thoroughly with cold water after cleaning them with the vinegar and water mixture.
Making the Marinade
The marinade is what will give the oxtails their delicious flavor. To make the marinade, you will need to blend together garlic, scallions, fresh thyme, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and some pepper and salt. You can use a blender or food processor to blend the ingredients together until they form a smooth paste.
- Make sure to use fresh ingredients when making the marinade for the best flavor.
- You can adjust the amount of salt and pepper in the marinade to suit your taste preferences.
Applying the Marinade
Once you have made the marinade, it’s time to apply it to the oxtails. You can use a brush or your hands to apply the marinade to the oxtails. Make sure to coat each piece of meat evenly with the marinade. Once the oxtails are coated with the marinade, you can let them sit for a few hours or overnight to allow the flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Make sure to wear gloves when applying the marinade to the oxtails to avoid getting the marinade on your hands.
- You can also add other spices or herbs to the marinade to customize the flavor to your liking.
Storing the Oxtails
After you have applied the marinade to the oxtails, you will need to store them properly. You can store the oxtails in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook them. Make sure to label the container with the date and the contents so that you can keep track of how long the oxtails have been stored.
- Make sure to use the oxtails within 2-3 days of marinating them to ensure that they are fresh and safe to eat.
- You can also freeze the oxtails for later use if you don’t plan on cooking them right away.
Overnight Soaking Process
The overnight soaking process is an important step in preparing oxtails. After you have applied the marinade to the oxtails, you will need to let them sit overnight at room temperature in the fridge. This will allow the flavors to penetrate the meat and make it more tender and flavorful.
- Make sure to cover the container with the oxtails when letting them sit overnight to prevent any contamination.
- You can also add some liquid to the container to help keep the oxtails moist during the soaking process.
In conclusion, preparing oxtails requires some time and effort, but the end result is well worth it. By following these steps, you can ensure that your oxtails are clean, flavorful, and tender. Whether you are making oxtail soup, stew, or braised oxtails, these tips will help you achieve the best possible results. So go ahead and give it a try, and enjoy the delicious taste of oxtails!