- It’s a one-pan dish, which makes cleanup a breeze.
- The chicken is cut into pieces, but you could also use drumsticks or wings.
- The olive oil helps to create a deliciously crispy skin on the chicken.
- The end result is succulent and flavorful, with a perfect balance of crispy skin and juicy meat.
Overall, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try if you’re looking for a simple and delicious way to make crispy chicken. Just be sure to use high-quality extra virgin olive oil for the best results!
Introduction to the recipe
If you’re looking for a simple and delicious way to prepare chicken, look no further than this recipe for baked and fried chicken in extra virgin olive oil. This one-pan dish is easy to prepare and yields succulent chicken with a crispy skin that is sure to impress your family and friends. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your repertoire.
Benefits of using olive oil for cooking
Olive oil is a staple in many kitchens around the world, and for good reason. Not only is it delicious, but it also has a number of health benefits. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. It also contains antioxidants, which can help protect against cancer and other diseases. When it comes to cooking, olive oil is a versatile and healthy choice. It has a high smoke point, which means it can be used for frying and other high-heat cooking methods without breaking down and producing harmful compounds.
The science behind crispy chicken skin
The secret to crispy chicken skin lies in the Maillard reaction, a chemical reaction that occurs when proteins and sugars are heated together. When chicken skin is exposed to high heat, the proteins and sugars in the skin react to form a complex network of flavors and aromas. This reaction is what gives the skin its crispy texture and delicious flavor. By using extra virgin olive oil in this recipe, you can help enhance the Maillard reaction and achieve the perfect crispy skin.
Step-by-step instructions for preparing the chicken
To prepare this delicious chicken dish, follow these simple steps:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut a whole chicken into pieces, or use drumsticks or wings.
3. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and any other herbs or spices you like.
4. Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add enough extra virgin olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet.
6. Add the chicken to the skillet, skin-side down.
7. Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes, or until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
8. Flip the chicken over and transfer the skillet to the oven.
9. Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes, or until it is cooked through and the skin is crispy.
Tips for achieving the perfect crispiness
To achieve the perfect crispy skin, there are a few tips to keep in mind:
– Make sure the chicken is dry before seasoning and cooking. Excess moisture can prevent the skin from crisping up.
– Use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor and texture.
– Don’t overcrowd the skillet. If there are too many pieces of chicken in the skillet, they will steam instead of fry, which can result in soggy skin.
– Don’t flip the chicken too soon. Let it cook on one side until the skin is golden brown and crispy before flipping it over.
– If the skin isn’t as crispy as you’d like, you can broil the chicken for a few minutes at the end of cooking to help crisp it up even more.
Serving suggestions and variations
This chicken dish is delicious on its own, but it also pairs well with a variety of sides and sauces. Here are a few serving suggestions and variations to try:
– Serve the chicken with roasted vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, and Brussels sprouts.
– Drizzle the chicken with a simple lemon and herb sauce for added flavor.
– Use different herbs and spices to change up the flavor profile. Try adding smoked paprika, cumin, or thyme to the seasoning mix.
– Make a dipping sauce by mixing together Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic.
Conclusion and final thoughts
In conclusion, this recipe for baked and fried chicken in extra virgin olive oil is a simple and delicious way to prepare chicken with a crispy skin. By using high-quality ingredients and following a few simple tips, you can achieve the perfect crispy texture and delicious flavor. Whether you’re cooking for a family dinner or a dinner party, this recipe is sure to impress. So why not give it a try and see for yourself how delicious and easy it can be to make crispy chicken with olive oil?